Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Our House ~ Kitchen Renovations

I have started the process of designing what I want our kitchen to look like. 

We are very lucky in our new house. Our kitchen is not too outdated and it has a good layout. We could live with it for a long time if we needed to.... but who wants to? So I've started putting together some ideas and images so that I can show David the aesthetic I am going for. I love the idea of mixing old and new and creating a modern space with classic pieces. I really want our kitchen to evoke feelings of the fifties and sixties. Here is what I have come up with:

1., 8. and 10. via Ikea ~ 2. via Home Depot Canada ~  3. via Restoration Hardware
4. via Unknown ~ 5. and 9. via D Lawless Hardware ~ 6. and 7. via Home Depot USA

All of our cabinetry will be going white to match the trim in the house. I will be replacing our stainless steel sink and faucet with a white sink and vintage style faucet. I am going to tile back splash the entire kitchen (most likely with the white lantern tile) and replace all of the plastic hardware that we have in the kitchen now with beautiful milk glass knobs. The island will go full butcher block and I am going to paint our little wood kitchen table to give it some character.

This is one project that I anticipate will take us a while. We need to first come up with the budget and then find the time to tackle all of these projects. I was really hoping to re use the cabinetry we already have in there... but it's all plastic laminate..... I have tried and tried to find a way to paint it but I think in the end, we are better off starting fresh. I cannot wait to get it all done! It will make such a difference in that space!

What do you think? Any cost saving renovation tips for me?


Mrs. E

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. I think before going into cost saving strategies and measures, you may have to layout the general visual design you want for your kitchen and work from there. That's really how you'll know whether a table of two will even have to be of use to begin with. I would advise dealing with the windows first; no use having a good kitchen design if its all going to be dampened by bad ventilation and lighting.

    BlairGCRoofing.com

    ReplyDelete